Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Haiti Trip - Days 9 & 10

March 16th - Day 9

Not really a whole lot to report from this day ...... mostly spent gathering all our stuff and packing and saying goodbyes and such.

We were suppose to be doing to children's program for the kid's of Heather's Home tonight but as we were finishing the balloon animals the electricity went out (as it does quite often in Haiti) so that kinda put a kabosh to that which bummed the kids out something aweful.  We all felt bad.

We did have an impromptu church service in the dining room at Heather's Home at 9 PM!  =)  That was cool.



March 17th - Day 10 - Time To Go Home

We all got up early so we could say goodbye to the children before they went to school which led to pictures and then 4-5 of us from the team actually went with the van to take the kids to school.  And that was it for me, as they piled out of the van my waterworks starting.  I was a wreck.  I didn't want to leave "my" kids.

Around 8 AM we headed to the airport and by 10:30 we were all thru customs and everything and waiting for our plane -- not without "incident" however!

The guy checking my baggage opened one of them to find a Haitian doll and said "your daughter?"  Assuming he meant "for my daughter."  I said "wee, wee."  He then proceeded to pick on me relentlessly .... "she is going to sufficate, your whole family will be very sad!"  Oh man, everyone was cracking up!  He called the head security guard over and told him I had a baby in my suitcase ..... he thought he was serious!  I told him "you're going to get me into trouble.  Knock that off!" 

So when he opened up my 2nd checked bag he asked "any more babies?"  hahahahaha.

The rest of the trip went off without a hitch ...... we left Haiti at 1:30 (an hr later than planned) and arrived at JFK at 7 PM.  We got thru immigration and customs and found our next gate just in time to scarf down some food and catch our 9:30 flight out of JFK to Syracuse!!!

Oh my goodness, the minute I saw Don in Syracuse I ran to him.  Hugs & kisses and just complete elation that I was finally HOME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment